When TV comes to L'Arche!

Caroline

Caroline Bennett is studying for her Masters in Visual Anthropology at the local university. As part of her thesis, she is currently recording a set of interviews with members of the community on their motivations for joining and remaining in L'Arche. After her first couple of months with the community, this is what she had to say:

"I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started coming to L’Arche – how would people react to someone outside the community turning up with a camera wanting to make a film about them and the community?  Luckily everyone has been brilliant and I have been welcomed into L’Arche Kent with open arms and lovely smiles.

Sal
"The nicest thing I’ve found out about L’Arche is the appreciation that people are people no matter who you are, and that everyone is special in their own way.  I think it’s something we tend to forget, but being in L’Arche is teaching me that it is ok just to be sometimes and to appreciate the world as it is.  I have mostly spent my time at Cana House so far, and I look forward to dropping in and seeing everyone: the big hugs from Sarah, quiet assurances from Sal, updates on what’s being going on from Geoffrey and having my rings appropriately re-arranged by John before he launches into stories about his youth, and of course the opportunity to hang out with everyone else there.  I’m looking forward to seeing more of the community and getting to know the characters in other houses too. 

John
"This week I will start filming in earnest.  I hope the welcomes continue now that I am surgically attached to my camera and its equipment.  My aim is to make a film that shows L’Arche Kent as I see it: a lovely, open place to spend time, be with people and learn about life in general."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea and community

The God of washing up

Thoughts from Jean Vanier