Point of view


 I remember going to Church one Sunday morning with some members of our house when I first started as an assistant. I sat next to Annie, one of our core members at church. Annie is a warm, loving lady who enjoys company though she needs quite a bit of support to stay focused on where she is and what shes doing.


I was nervous. Sometimes she isn’t aware that people are praying around her or sitting in silence and will ask many many qestions repeatedly. We’ve tried many ways to support her with this – answering her questions very clearly and simply, encouraging her to enjoy the peaceful service, explaining the importance of a prayer and the Mass for other people, but sometimes Annie doesn't understand other peoples needs when she has one. If I’m honest, I didn't want people looking at us or her when she is speaking during prayer and lacked confidence in finding good ways to encourage her to allow others to pray in silence.
I thought about different ways to help her be calm and to pray if she liked during Mass. I looked for possibilities that she could deal with herself. But I couldn't find any idea and so I hoped the best and tried to stay cool.


Annie took some of her drawing paper and a purse full of coins with her in her black small handbag. During the Mass, she showed me her paintings again and again: “look!” she said, and I said “Oh this is a nice one“. She shook her purse full of coins and smiled at me “money“ and I smiled back “you are a rich lady“. Annie asked me to help her to open and close her bag because her eyes are not the best anymore, so I closed and opened her bag again and again. During hymns we got up, sang and teetered to the right and to the left in time to the music. She laid her head on my shoulders and breathed deep for some moments. The 90 minutes passed by so quickly and at the end we went for a cup of tea in church hall, like we always do.



When I led her through the benches an older lady turned around and said to me: “You’re new? You are doing such a good job! You're a very lovely and kind person and Annie seems so gentle with you.”  I had been anxious and nervous but now felt pleased and happy that there were people who seemed to understand and accept Annie  and wished to encourage me.


5 months later, going to church with Annie is definitely one of my favourite past times, even when things don’t go quite as planned. I love spending this time with her and I’m inspired that people are able rather to see, than her disability, her ability, her warmth and her beauty.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tea and community

The God of washing up

Thoughts from Jean Vanier